A Brief History of the Old Fashioned
The Old Fashioned has had an interesting history from its inception in the 1880s to the prohibition era, the 1960s, and finally to its renewed fame in the 2000s following the Mad Men TV series. With the renewed interest also came new ways to enjoy the Old Fashioned!
Classic Old Fashioned
- 2 oz bourbon
- 3 dashes bitters
- 1 sugar cube (1/2 tsp)
- 1 tsp water
- orange peel, for garnish
- Add sugar and bitters to a rocks glass, then add water, and stir until sugar is nearly dissolved.
- Fill the glass with large ice cubes, add the bourbon, and gently stir to combine.
- Express the oil of an orange peel over the glass, then drop in.
Peanut Butter Old Fashioned
- 1.5 oz Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey
- .75 oz Rye Whiskey
- 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Stir all ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Pour into a rocks glass with one large ice cube.
- Garnish with a cherry and orange twist.
Source: Maine Spirits
Tequila Old Fashioned
- 2 oz Patrón Añejo
- .25 oz Simple syrup
- 1 dash Bitters
- Orange zest
- Over a double old fashioned glass, use a vegetable peeler to take off two strips of orange zest, making sure to express the oil into the glass.
- Add Patrón Añejo, simple syrup, and bitters.
- Add ice—the biggest cubes you can find—and stir.
- Adjust sweetness to taste.
Source: Patrón Tequila
Spicy Old Fashioned
- 1.5 oz rye whiskey
- 1.5 oz chile liqueur
- .5 oz simple syrup
- 4 dashes orange bitters
- 1 dash aromatic bitters
- Add all of the ingredients to a cocktail shaker, then fill with ice. Shake, and pour over ice — preferably one nice big square cube.
- Garnish with a slice of orange peel. Serve.
Source: The Innocents Abroad
A Simple & Quick Old Fashioned
As some of these recipes require a bit of time to create, there are other quicker ways to enjoy an Old-Fashioned. Use a mixer like Master of Mixes Old Fashioned Mixer to mix with your bourbon or whiskey or even a pre-mixed cocktail old fashioned if you’re too pressed on time.
It can definitely rank as being one of the best cocktails for men and is a classic choice for that dapper guy at the bar. Stir up one of the Old Fashioned recipes above and let us know your favorite!